For detailed information please go to: www.disciples.org
Why the chalice?
The chalice symbolizes the central place of communion in worship to the Christian Church (Disciples of Christ). The X-shaped cross of the disciple Andrew is a reminder of the ministry of each person and the importance of sharing God's grace and love with the world.
What does it mean to be a Disciple?
- That the table of the Lord is central in weekly worship. To this table, all are welcomed; at this table, Christ is remembered; and around this table, we serve each other, offering to one another the bread and cup of grace.
- That judgment belongs to God alone.
- That the study of scripture is a lifetime commitment, with the clear acknowledgement that as a result, minds change and faith is continually making new discoveries.
- That issues of social division, such as race, gender, sexuality, income, education, or social standing have absolutely no place in the church.
- That persons who come from other Christian traditions are welcome without suspicion or condition, and their memories of worship and work are respected.
- That the opportunity and responsibility of leadership is available to women and men alike.
- That the gifts of God for ministry belong to all the people.